I’ve been rocking the homesickness as of late. No big surprise. These feelings of longing for my birthplace usually set in after about 6 months of being away. So according to this internalized clock, I’m right on time.
What are the things I miss most? I love a good list, so here goes:
(in the order of my random mind wanderings)
- watching hours of mindless crime drama on the big screen with my little sister
- having dinner/movie dates with my dad
- everything that my mom cooks
- being 45 minutes away (or less) from a totally kickass modern urban center
- the Toronto bellydance community
- Starbucks, especially their ridiculously high-calorie seasonal lattes
- sleepovers with my bestie
- snow (wrong season, I know)
- Shields Family BBQs
- guitar jams in the den with my siblings
- suburban grocery monoliths – wasteful? probably. but it is SO convenient and deeply satisfying to be able to buy tempeh, a 1 kg block of old chedder and natural window cleaner all in one place… and the aisles! the aisles!! so WIDE!
- drinking red wine, eating chocolate and stinky cheese late into the night with raucous, awesome femfolk
- seafood… what I wouldn’t do for a fresh crustacean right now
- trees… especially when there are lots of them together. Israeli forests leave something to be desired
- going on special dates with Mom
- seeing films in theatres
- easy access to books in English
- the family hang
- my bike
In the interest of time, space, attention span and not becoming completely self-indulgent, I will conclude here.
Any expats out there who are feeling lonely for home stuffs, feel free to chime in. Strength in longing.